I have lived in the same town since I was 11 years old. All but one of my brothers, sisters, their families and my parents still live here. My family is large and loud. We are all very opinionated people with sarcastic personalities. The show Brothers and Sisters, minus the gay brother, could have been written about us. Imagine holidays, bbq's and birthday parties with obnoxious people. That is us.
My husband is in the management program at work. By June of next year we are hoping to relocate. This is both exciting and frightening at the same time. We both can't wait to get out of California, the smog, taxes and heat are but a few reasons. More importantly away from all my family drama. The sibling rivalry is ridiculous. It's all about who's house is bigger, who has the better car or better kids.
For all the crap and chaos in my family they do have their good moments. I know, for the most part, that I can count on them if I need anything. They are only a drive or phone call away. We can go shopping or have lunch together anytime. If I run out of gas, it only happened once, they will come to the rescue. Plus all the free babysitting helps too.
I guess I'm just nervous about moving to a new place where I don't know a soul. If I get lost I wont be able to call someone to get directions. Who will bring a gas can if I run out of gas again? What if I move half way across the country only to realize my family isn't so bad?
6 comments:
Great questions. Only you can answer them though.
I have too have a large bickering family. But for me it is one that I don't feel any qualms about turning my back on. I have been bitten so many times now it doesn't hurt at all.
If the opportunity to leaves I will be quick to jump.
The internet has really changed things. You have PC's. You have phones. You have webcams and Blogger and MySpace with pictures.
It really has changed things in the past decade.
As for gas? AAA for $30 a year will have this and many other things covered. Plus you get 3 free towing tossed in I think.
You WILL miss them. Don't leave because of them but don't stay because of them either.
I know that we have to do what's right for us and our family. At times it feels like it's not fair to my kids but it the long run would probably be better for them. Sometimes our families are a crutch.
But the way, I was trying to post a comment on your blog but wasn't able to. Don't know if it's my end or your!
wait till you're all alone a thousand miles away. then rewrite this blog entry. i missed everyone and the worst part is thinking about quiet holidays without your obnoxious family. P.S. its your brother and I was in that place before.
But I wont be all alone, I will have my family with me. Not all of it but the most important part. Besides a quiet obnoxious free holiday sounds good right now.
Hektiklyfe was right. With all the technology we have they are just a click away. Besides now that my parents have the motor home they will have a place to go.
Oh I have so much to say where do I start.....I believe no matter how big or small a family is there will always be issues (look at my ex's family for example) it is how you deal with the issues that is important.
First we our all adults too bad we can't handle everything in a mature way. I think it is good to speak your mind & we are not all going to agree that doesn't mean we are a "bitch" or that someone should take our comments and shit talk behind our back SPEAK YOUR MIND (that is why we have one)!!!!!!
Second it is not bad living away from the people you love. It actually makes you appreciate them & the time you have with them.
Third you will grow closer to your family & lean on them even more for the things you need. You will find babysitters or friends that you can trade babysitting favors with. Trust me there will be times when you miss people but you will get through it by calling them, email, sending a card, & looking at picture.
I am so tired of everyone compare everyone enough is enough we are all different for a reason let's start enjoying one another for are differences. Life is too short. We should enjoy every minute of it. Do what you and Matt have to do for your family!!!!!
I'm one of those who moved away nearly 20 years ago...and one of the main reasons was my birth family crap. I have 0 regrets..in fact for my family--its deteriorated to the point where the majority of us--no longer have any relationships at all. quite sad.
When you move--you find new friends,new resources,and most importantly you learn to rely on your mate and make sure your new little family is rock solid
Post a Comment