Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Turkey Talk

Every year we go to my parents house for Thanksgiving. Last year my hubby talked me into making a turkey just for us. His favorite part of Thanksgiving is all the leftover turkey. Me, being the fantastic wife I am, agreed. Weeks before the big day I scoured the Internet looking for a good recipe. Holy Cow, who knew there were so many ways to cook a bird!

This was the first turkey I've ever cooked. Since Matt wanted lots of leftovers I bought a 15 pound turkey. Let me tell you I was nervous. No petrified, stressed and freaked out are better words. I don't know why, maybe it's hormones or genetic. Either way it turned out great, I was ecstatic.

This year the guy that usually deep pits my dad's turkey is out of town. Guess who gets nominated to cook the turkey? That's right, ME! Instead of it being a 15 pound bird I get to cook a 26 pound bird. All of those feelings from last year are back but doubled.

What could go wrong? Here are my fears.

1.) The turkey doesn't thaw in time.

2.) It's dryer than the Sahara Desert.

3.) I don't cook it all the way and everyone gets sick.

4.) Or it just plain doesn't taste good.

Well, everyone wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!

6 comments:

HektikLyfe said...

Share some of that luck with us. We are doing our first alone turkey this year. I am helping.

I hope it doesn't flop around like it does on all those sitcoms!

Anonymous said...

If you want a good moist turkey, soak it in brine for 24 hours before... you stuff it and roast it, versur

AV
http://netherregionoftheearthii.blogspot.com/
http://tomusarcanum.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

so how'd the turkey turn out??

Leah Friesen said...

Argentum: I took your advice and brined the turkey. I'm happy to say it turned out great. Everyone gave me rave reviews.

Hektik: My turkey sure was a slippery sucker. I almost droped it on the floor. I hope your turkey turned out as well as mine!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations... LOL, all that worry for fistch

HektikLyfe said...

Actually our turkey turned out great. The recipe we were following suggested we do exactly what Argentum suggested and it did turn out great. A bit salty but delicious. I used those strings to flop it around. We need to by one of those mini racks next time.